Preparing for your newborn Art session
The following information is provided to give us the best chance of a successful Newborn Art session.
Baby needs to be super sleepy for a gallery with the most variety. If a baby doesn't fall into a deep enough sleep certain poses will not be attempted due to safety.
Before the session
- Breast feeding mums’ please try to avoid eating any spicy or gassy foods, heavy dairy, caffeine & chocolate for the 24 hours before your session to avoid any possible upset tummy for baby.
- Try to avoid appointments or visitors on the morning of your session so baby is not over stimulated before the session.
- It really helps if baby has some awake time before the session (baths are great) so that they are ready for a nice big sleep when they arrive.
- Please give baby a full feed just before you leave the house so they are satisfied and fall into a nice deep sleep. We may offer a top up before the session begins if baby hasn't quite fallen asleep.
what to bring with you
- Baby Wipes
- Disposable nappies (less bulky than reusable)
- Soft towels or baby blankets (2-3) - something you don't mind getting pooped or peed on!
- Nappy change mat (disposables are fine)
- A pacifier (soother) – even if you don’t plan on using one later - Philips Avent Soothies (as pictured) are the best as they don't leave marks on baby's face.
- Bottles/milk supplies if required - please bring more than you think you will need!
- Snacks to keep you going (water will be provided)
Please note: All studio props and clothing are carefully selected for safety, appropriateness and sizing. Props/costumes brought from home will not be used, so kindly don't bring them to your session.
how to dress baby
- Please have baby dressed in a simple outfit that's easy to remove like a button or zip up onesie – nothing that must be pulled over their head to remove as this can wake them up.
- Ideally baby will wear a disposable nappy for the session as they are less bulky than reusable ones.
5 image Package: Baby will remain fully wrapped (swaddled) for the entire session.
10 image package: Baby will start fully wrapped (swaddled) and finish with a semi wrap (arms out).
20 image package: Baby will start fully wrapped (swaddled), followed by a semi wrap (arms out), and finishing with nude posing.
For the parents & siblings add-on, we start with the family set while the room is still warming.
I will try my very best to get all my typical poses and props that I can during the session but please understand some babies will not want to do certain poses, so no poses are guaranteed. If your baby protests and can’t be soothed, I will move onto the next pose/prop.
Newborn Art sessions can take anywhere from 1-2 hours. There will be time for baby to feed/change as needed.
The Family Set
Information for those who've added a Parents/Siblings add-on
what to wear - the family
- Please note the family add-on does not allow time for multiple outfit changes so please be dressed in your photo clothing, hair and makeup done, and ready to begin upon arrival to make the the best use of our time.
- Plain and simple tee shirts, tank tops or long sleeve tops in either black OR white work best (try and avoid patterns and logos if you can) - but make sure it's something you feel comfortable in and fits well. The images are usually shot from head to waist so if you want to wear comfy pants feel free, we're not going to see much of them.
- If you have a wardrobe emergency, the studio may have plain white or black tees to fit.
- Remember the studio will be warmed to 23-27 degrees so dress like it's a summer day with layers you can take off if needed.
- Please avoid scratchy fabric that might irritate baby.
- Leave your watch off for the photos unless it is of sentimental value and you want to wear for your portraits
- Please do not wear perfume on the day
PLEASE BE ON TIME
Please be considerate as there may be sessions booked in before or after yours. It is important you arrive on time and ready for your session. If you are more than 30 minutes late, there is not enough time to complete the session and provide a full gallery, and the session will be marked as a "no-show". The session may be able to be rescheduled, but rebooking fees will apply.
Hair & Makeup
If you've booked a hair and makeup service for your session, please be ready for your stylist's arrival with a clean, moisturized face and clean completely dry hair.
If you are doing your own hair and makeup, please avoid high gloss lipstick and glittery eye shadows.
Bring your lipstick with you for top ups, and some hairspray to calm down last minute flyaway hairs.
Please remember the finer details! Hands will be on display when holding your baby so check everyone's nails are clean and polish isn't chipped. Do your roots need touching up before the session? Skin blemishes can be easily retouched but requests to alter wardrobe, makeup, nails or hair will be sent to an editor to correct and there will be additional charges for this...it's better to get it right in real life than fix it in Photoshop!
Preparing Older Siblings
Older children are easier to convince (or bribe!) to pose for photos. But toddlers are very busy and still adjusting to a new baby in the home. It's super common for younger siblings 2 years or under not wanting to pose with baby. To have a better chance at success, prepare them before coming to the studio. Talk about how nice it will be to have special photos together. Let them know Angela is a nice lady! Praise them for being a great big brother/sister. It may help it feel less scary on the day if they know the plan.
Please note Children under 5 years will require an adult to actively supervise while in the studio, as the studio has equipment which can be knocked over causing injury or damage.
To allow Angela full concentration while working with your newborn, it would be ideal a parent or family helper collects the older sibling/s when the family portion is complete.