Preparing for your newborn Art session
The following information is provided to give us the best chance of a successful Newborn Art session.
Baby needs to be super sleepy for a gallery with the most variety. If a baby doesn't fall into a deep enough sleep certain poses will not be attempted due to safety.
Before the session
- Breast feeding mums’ please try to avoid eating any spicy or gassy foods, heavy dairy, caffeine & chocolate for the 24 hours before your session to avoid any possible upset tummy for baby.
- Try to avoid appointments or visitors on the morning of your session so baby is not over stimulated before the session.
- It really helps if baby has some awake time before the session (baths are great) so that they are ready for a nice big sleep when they arrive.
- Please give baby a full feed just before you leave the house so they are satisfied and fall into a nice deep sleep. We may offer a top up before the session begins if baby hasn't quite fallen asleep.
what to bring with you
- Baby Wipes
- Disposable nappies (less bulky than reusable)
- Soft towels or baby blankets (2-3) - something you don't mind getting pooped or peed on!
- Nappy change mat (disposables are fine)
- A pacifier (dummy) – even if you don’t plan on using one later - the soft NICU soothies are the best as they don't leave marks on baby's face.
- Bottles/milk supplies if required - please bring more than you think you will need!
- Snacks to keep you going (water will be provided)
Please note: All studio props (Newborn Art sessions) and clothing are carefully selected for safety, appropriateness and sizing. Props/costumes brought from home will not be used, so kindly don't bring them to your session.
how to dress baby
- Please have baby already dressed in a simple outfit that's easy to remove like a button or zip up onesie – nothing that must be pulled over their head to remove as this can wake them up. A plain white onesie/romper is ideal.
- Ideally baby will wear a disposable nappy for the session as they are less bulky than reusable ones.
For the 5 image/baby only package, baby will remain wrapped for the entire session.
For the 10 & 20 image packages/baby only package, baby will start wrapped and then we will finish with nude poses.
For the 30 image baby, parents & siblings package, we will start with the family set and baby will be wrapped. Then we will move to wrapped poses, then finish with nude poses.
I will try my very best to get all my typical poses and props that I can during the session but please understand some babies will not want to do certain poses, so no poses are guaranteed. If your baby protests and can’t be soothed, I will move onto the next pose/prop.
Newborn Art sessions can take anywhere from 1-2 hours. There will be time for baby to feed/change as needed.
PLEASE BE ON TIME
Please be considerate as there may be sessions booked in before or after yours. It is important you arrive on time and ready for your session. If you are more than 30 minutes late, there is not enough time to complete the session and provide a full gallery, and the session will be marked as a "no-show". The session may be able to be rescheduled, but rebooking fees will apply.
Information for those who've booked the 30 Image/Newborn + Parents/Siblings package
what to wear - the family
- Angela's preference is to have everyone wearing simple and solid white/creams/light neutrals to suit the style of lighting for the session. The alternative option that works well is black for the parents (this creates more contrast and mood) Please note newborn sessions do not allow time for outfit changes so please be dressed and ready to begin upon arrival to make the most of your appointment.
- Tee Shirts, tank tops, long sleeve tops are all fine - just make sure you wear something you feel comfortable in that fits well.
- Remember the studio will be warmed to 23-26 degrees so dress like it's a Wellington summer with layers you can take off.
- Try to avoid big patterns, stripes, logos on your shirt etc.
- Leave your watch off for the photos unless it is of sentimental value and you want to wear for your portraits
- Please do not wear perfume on the day
Hair & Makeup
If you've booked a hair and makeup service at the studio, please arrive with a clean, moisturized face and clean completely dry hair.
I recommend Mum arrives first to be styled and everyone else arrives when we are ready to begin the photos. There are lots of playgrounds and cafes close by to keep Dad and the kids entertained while they wait.
If you are doing your own hair and makeup, please avoid glossy lipstick and glittery eye shadows. Mattes are best for photo shoots.
Bring your lipstick with you for top ups, and some hairspray to calm down last minute flyaway hairs.
Please remember the finer details! Your hands will be on display when you are holding your baby so check your nails are clean and polish isn't chipped. Do your roots need touching up before the session? Skin blemishes can be easily retouched but requests to alter wardrobe, makeup, nails or hair will be sent to an editor to correct and there will be additional charges for this...it's better to get it right in real life than fix it in Photoshop!
Preparing Older Siblings
Older children are easier to convince (or bribe!) to behave for photos. But toddlers are very busy and still adjusting to there being a new baby in the home. Many younger siblings (toddlers for example) will not want to pose with their new sibling easily. To have a better chance at success, prepare them before coming to the studio. Talk about how nice it will be to have special photos together. Let them know Angela is a nice lady! It may help it feel less scary on the day. Treats/rewards for cooperation can help.
Please note while older siblings are welcome to be included in the session, they will only be allowed in the studio for the family portion of the session. Children under 5 years will require an adult to actively supervise while in the studio, as the studio has equipment which can be knocked over causing injury or damage.
When the family portion is complete, please have a parent or family helper collect the older sibling/s to allow Angela full concentration while working with your newborn.