Preparing for your newborn + Family session
what to wear - the family
- Please have everyone wearing simple and solid white/creams/light neutrals OR dark colours like black/greys/dark neutrals.
- Avoid contrasting colours if you can help it - everyone should wear similar tones.
- Tee Shirts, tank tops, long sleeve tops are all fine - just make sure you wear something you feel comfortable in.
- Try to avoid big patterns, stripes, logos on your shirt etc.
- The studio has wardrobe options for mums and babies, so book in a pre session consultation if you want to try anything on before the session.
- Bring spare clothes as baby may wee or poop on you!
how to dress baby
- Please have baby already dressed in a plain/simple onesie that matches what the rest of the family is wearing. A onesie with legs is best so you don't see the nappy.
- You can also have baby completely nude for a more natural look (not recommended when siblings are involved) but be warned you may get wee or poop on you!
- Ideally baby will wear a disposable nappy for the session as they are less bulky than reusable ones.
Preparing Older Siblings
Older children are easier to convince (or bribe!) to behave for photos. But toddlers are very busy and still adjusting to there being a new baby in the home. Many will not want to lay down next to their new sibling so please be prepared for that. You can practice lying them down at home with a baby doll and talk about the photos – it may help it feel less scary on the day. Treats/rewards for cooperation can help.
Foods to avoid
Breast feeding mums’ please try to avoid eating any spicy or gassy foods, heavy dairy, caffeine & chocolate for the 24 hours before your session to avoid any possible upset tummy for baby.
Hair & Makeup
If you've booked a hair and makeup service with your session, please arrive with a clean, moisturized face and clean completely dry hair.
I recommend Mum arrives first to be styled and everyone else arrives when we are ready to begin the photos. There are lots of playgrounds and cafes close by to keep Dad and the kids entertained while they wait.
If you are doing your own hair and makeup, please avoid glossy lipstick and glittery eye shadows. Mattes are best for photo shoots.
Bring your lipstick with you for top ups, and some hairspray to calm down last minute flyaway hairs.