Preparing for your newborn essentials Session
what to wear - the family
- Please have everyone wearing simple and solid white/creams/light neutrals OR dark colours like black/greys/dark neutrals. Angela's preference for "the sibling shots" is for baby and sibling(s) to be dressed in white.
- Avoid contrasting colours if you can help it - everyone should wear similar tones.
- Tee Shirts, tank tops, long sleeve tops are all fine - just make sure you wear something you feel comfortable in.
- Try to avoid big patterns, stripes, logos on your shirt etc.
- Bring spare clothes as baby may wee or poop on you!
how to dress baby
- Please have baby already dressed in a plain/simple onesie that matches what the rest of the family is wearing. A onesie with legs is best so you don't see the nappy. If you can't find something that matches, Angela will wrap baby instead.
- Ideally baby will wear a disposable nappy for the session as they are less bulky than reusable ones.
Preparing Older Siblings
Older children are easier to convince (or bribe!) to behave for photos. But toddlers are very busy and still adjusting to there being a new baby in the home. Many younger siblings (toddlers for example) will not want to lay down next to their new sibling so please be prepared for that. You can practice lying them down at home with a baby doll and talk about the photos – it may help it feel less scary on the day. Treats/rewards for cooperation can help.
Please note the studio has equipment which can be knocked over causing injury or damage - Children under 5 years will require an adult to actively supervise while in the studio.
Foods to avoid
Breast feeding mums’ please try to avoid eating any spicy or gassy foods, heavy dairy, caffeine & chocolate for the 24 hours before your session to avoid any possible upset tummy for baby.
Hair & Makeup
If you've booked a hair and makeup service with your session, please arrive with a clean, moisturized face and clean completely dry hair.
I recommend Mum arrives first to be styled and everyone else arrives when we are ready to begin the photos. There are lots of playgrounds and cafes close by to keep Dad and the kids entertained while they wait.
If you are doing your own hair and makeup, please avoid glossy lipstick and glittery eye shadows. Mattes are best for photo shoots.
Bring your lipstick with you for top ups, and some hairspray to calm down last minute flyaway hairs.
Please remember the finer details! Your hands will be on display when you are holding your baby so check your nails are clean and polish isn't chipped. Do your roots need touching up before the session? Skin blemishes can be easily retouched but requests to alter wardrobe, makeup, nails or hair will be sent to an editor to correct and there will be additional charges for this...it's better to get it right in real life than fix it in Photoshop!